Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fake "Gel Manicure" Linked to Nerve Damage



I have an issue with sensationalist reporting on the news. A client came in to the spa the other day and let one of our technicians know she had seen a report on the news stating Axxium gel lacquer caused nerve damage. This is how false rumors spread.

I immediately wanted to know about this report as we use both OPI Axxium and CND Shellac in the spa. I did a quick search on the internet and found the original report by Consumer Reports. A woman named Jane Ubell-Meyer received what she thought was a "gel manicure" at a local salon where a drill being used on her slipped and damaged her finger, the damaged finger was then dipped into an unknown white chemical powder leaving Ubell-Meyer suffering from pain for months. After visiting many doctors including an orthopedist, dermatologist and chiropractor, a neurologist was able to discover the culprit...a fake gel manicure gone wrong.

A gel lacquer manicure does not include mixing any powders, glues or other chemicals. The gel lacquer is brushed onto the nail and is odorless. The natural nail does not need to be roughed up with a hand held drill or filed like a traditional acrylic service. If you have any questions about the service you are receiving, ask the service provider. If the surroundings are less than sanitary or you have concerns...don't get the service.

1 comment:

Lisa D. said...

My friend, knowing I wanted to get the gel nail manicure, told me both these sensational stories - this one and the UV light/cancer one. Good thing I have half a brain and can find more reliable information. I've had a bad experience with Axxium gel at another Seattle salon (I don't think they've been properly trained to use the product). When I'm ready for my next application, I'll definitely be making an appointment at Spa Scotta!